Are you looking for an exciting new opportunity? As a part of our growing and successful Data Science function, we are looking for a Data Science Engineer to join our teams in either Bournemouth, London or Bristol offices.
The Data Science team is excited to offer a relatively introductory level opportunity for an exceptional Data Engineer into their growing and hugely successful team which is made up of talented and diverse individuals including PhD graduates and Data Scientists. The team is driving the implementation of machine learning across the entire organisation with a focus on the delivery and realisation of benefits.
The team helps LV build data pipelines and machine learning solutions across the business. The team operate as a consultancy within the business. They are approached by different parts of the business who they then work closely with to create an end to end solution. They are involved in all aspects of the project from data collection, to model building to model deployment.
This is an opportunity for someone with curiosity, to look beyond raw data and tell the story behind it. A chance to develop and operationalize analytics solutions, to answer key business questions and improve business processes by leveraging machine learning. The possibilities are huge. We are looking for a Data Engineer who is passionate about the end to end process of machine learning model building and deployment and is keen to advance their own personal development via the many opportunities on offer within the team.
To find out more about our Data Science team and the Partnership with Bristol University please see link below:
What are we looking for?
We don't expect you to know everything from day one, but for we do require a certain amount of experience in producing and deploying models in business scenarios:
- Experience of data storage, manipulation and extraction tools including relational databases, unstructured / NoSQL data stores, ETL, query processing and other data pipeline processing infrastructure
- Familiarity with at least one language commonly used in Data Science domain, e.g. Python, R, SQL
- Knowledge and capability in DB / data storage tools / processes e.g. Oracle, SQL Server
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms & concepts
- Familiarity with monitoring, backup and DR of data systems
- Familiarity with GDPR and other relevant legislation
- Degree level educated or above ideally in computer science, data science or other technical discipline
- Experience of working in a busy environment whilst maintaining a high degree of accuracy at all times and meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to proactively build and maintain relationships both externally and with customers throughout the company.
- Knowledge of ML model operationalisation technologies such as:
- Python (incl. common ML packages & REST web services)
- Knowledge and capability in Microsoft Azure data & analytics PaaS technologies including some of the below:
- Azure Data Factory
- Azure Data Lake Store
- SQL Data Warehouse /Database PaaS
- Azure HDInsight / Hadoop
- Azure DataBricks
- Azure Machine Learning Services
- Knowledge of Microsoft Cognitive Services
What will you be doing?
Your role will vary day to day, but here is a bit of what you can expect:
- To liaise with business SMEs to achieve a common understanding of the business challenge, their needs, data requirements and expected output
- To be responsible for the operationalisation of ML models, including establishing repeatable and maintainable best practices and patterns for development, testing and deployment.
- To be responsible for the development and maintenance of automated, repeatable processes for integrating data and providing it to analytics users in an appropriate format. To include documentation, testing aligned with agreed processes and standards.
- To work closely within a cross functional team to scope, develop, articulate progress and results including business case to progress further. (End to end - Technical to business use)
- Become one of a group of experts who can coach business SMEs as part of handover to ensure the capability continues to grow across the group
- Working on all aspects of the project as needed by the overall team
- Help formulate a longer term operating and support model for analytics.
- Actively championing analytics across all areas and levels of the business
- To be responsible for maintaining standards around the use and access to data, ensuring adherence to internal and external regulatory factors, standards, policies and procedures.
- Evaluates and provides feedback on future technologies and new releases / upgrade
Reward and Benefits
This role is a Band C in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page here.
We’ll give you:
- Flexible working opportunities – many of our employee's job share or work part-time, flexi-time, compressed hours or with an element of remote working.
- 30 days' holiday, with the option to buy up to 2 additional days
- An excellent pension plan (please click here to read more about it)
- An annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- Other flexible benefits including discounted retail vouchers and dental insurance
- 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel as well as up to 50% discount on your car insurance
To find out more about our benefits and rewards, please click here.
LV= is an equal opportunities employer who values a diverse and inclusive workplace. We recognise that people work in different ways, and we value alternative viewpoints, celebrate individuality and foster a culture where everyone can bring their true self to work. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce, we accept applications from everyone regardless of your background, beliefs, culture, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities and long term health conditions