We are excited to be recruiting a Head of Data Science Operations to support our Data Science teams based in Bristol, London & Bournemouth.
The role includes responsibility for the leadership and management of a large and growing team of Data Scientists. The Data Science team operate as a consultancy within the business, working closely with different departments to find and deliver solutions. You will be involved in managing the team across multiple projects, involving data collection, model building and evaluation, to model productionisation and deployment.
The role offers a chance to develop and operationalise analytics solutions, to answer key business questions and improve business processes by leveraging machine learning. The possibilities are huge! There will be plenty of opportunities to develop your career within LV=.
In normal times we work in a hybrid working pattern with the opportunity to work from home up to three days per week. We adopt a flexible working environment with a strong focus on continuous learning and development.
What are we looking for?
You will need to have experience of leading, mentoring and managing a large team of data scientists using your senior stakeholder management skills, including communication, management of expectation, recommendations, quality of outputs, and working accurately to tight deadlines.
We are looking for someone with solid technical / theoretical knowledge of machine learning techniques including linear models and tree-based methods for regression and classification. Knowledge of deep learning, NLP techniques and object-oriented programming is preferred. Experience in leading the successful real-time deployment of machine learning models within a business setting is a key requirement.
You will have proven experience of leading technical projects around large datasets, managing the end to end delivery of machine learning use cases, both from a technical and non-technical perspective. You’ll be conveying technical concepts to a non-technical audience, as well as managing relationships with key stakeholders, to understand business requirements and tailor solutions to meet needs of stakeholders.
You will need to work alongside key stakeholders to prioritise future machine learning models across business areas and set the roadmap for the team, prioritising activities and being responsive to the needs of the business.
What will you be doing?
Your role will vary day to day, but here is a bit of what you can expect:
- Ownership of the delivery of all Data Science models into the business in line with annual objectives. This includes ML use cases across all areas of the GI business, including Pricing, Claims, Underwriting, Fraud, Sales & Marketing, Digital, IT, HR, PetPlan; as well as existing and new cellular business including Flow, Electrix, Britannia Rescue
- Collaborate very closely with Strategic Delivery teams to ensure these use cases are aligned to LV= strategic objectives and are aligned to our values
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with various areas of the GI business
- Deliver regular updates to exec level stakeholders within the GI business
- Input into the creation of the LV= Data Science strategy
- Leadership and management of the Data Scientists at all levels, including manager, lead, senior, data scientist and graduate levels
- Maintaining a safe working environment for the team and ensuring that they have the tools and equipment to carry out their roles
Why Work for Us?
Exciting things are happening at LV=General Insurance (LV=GI). Having recently become part of the Allianz family, we’re proud to be one of the largest personal insurers in the UK.
Driven by our pride and passion, we will always do the right thing to inspire trust in our people and our customers. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to become Britain’s best-loved insurer, by helping people look after what they love.
Reward and Benefits
This role is a Band C in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page here.
We’ll give you:
- Flexible working opportunities – many of our employees job share or work part-time, flexi-time, or compressed hours. Our new hybrid working model now offers all employees the option to work from home 3 days a week and 2 days in the office.
- 30 days' holiday, with the option to buy up to 2 additional days
- An excellent pension plan (please click here to read more about it)
- An annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- Other flexible benefits including discounted retail vouchers and dental insurance
- 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel as well as up to 50% discount on your car insurance
To find out more about our benefits and rewards, please click here.
LV= is an equal opportunities employer who values a diverse and inclusive workplace. We recognise that people work in different ways, and we value alternative viewpoints, celebrate individuality and foster a culture where everyone can bring their true self to work. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce, we accept applications from everyone regardless of your background, beliefs, culture, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities and long term health conditions