We are excited to be recruiting a Head of Data Science Technical Excellence and Software Engineering to support our Data Science teams based in Bristol, London & Bournemouth.
You will need to own the creation and delivery of Technical Excellence and Software Engineering development within Data Science, whilst collaborating to help deliver all other elements of LVGI’s Data Science strategy, feeding into delivery and innovation activity. This includes the exciting opportunity to lead the development of a set of python libraries, developed internally within the team and released back to the open-source community.
The role includes responsibility for the leadership and management of a team of Data Scientists. The Data Science team operate as a consultancy within the business, working closely with different departments to find and deliver solutions. You will be involved in leading the team across multiple projects, involving data collection, model building and evaluation, to model productionisation and deployment.
The role offers a chance to develop and operationalise analytics solutions, to answer key business questions and improve business processes by leveraging machine learning. The possibilities are huge! There will be plenty of opportunities to develop your career within LV=.
In normal times we work in a hybrid working pattern with the opportunity to work from home up to three days per week. We adopt a flexible working environment with a strong focus on continuous learning and development.
What are we looking for?
You will have experience in the creation and ongoing development of technical frameworks and best practices within Data Science teams, including alignment with ethical and regulatory standards for machine learning modelling.
As well as a strong technical / theoretical knowledge of machine learning techniques themselves, including linear models and tree-based methods for regression and classification, you will have experience in leading the successful real-time deployment (and ongoing evaluation) of machine learning models within a business setting. Knowledge of deep-learning and NLP techniques is preferred.
With experience of software engineering in a Data Science setting, you’ll be setting best practices around all aspects of our code base, including model productionisation and package development.
The ideal candidate will have excellent senior stakeholder management skills, including communication, management of expectations, providing recommendations, and managing quality of outputs. You’ll have the proven ability to work accurately to tight deadlines, with the ability to prioritise activities and respond to the needs of the business.
What will you be doing?
Your role will vary day to day, but here is a bit of what you can expect:
- Creation and delivery of LVGI Machine Learning Technical Excellence and Software Engineering strategy
- Setting & applying technical standards used on all ML use cases throughout the team, considering all model lifecycle stages, including build, productionisation and evaluation.
- Developing Software Engineering/coding excellence throughout the Data Science team including:
- Object orientated programming practices
- Code structure
- Unit testing (with pytest)
- Standardisation across the team
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with various areas of the GI business.
- Input into the creation of the LVGI Data Science Strategy
- Linking into wider LV Software Engineering teams and Allianz Group technical practice setting
Why Work for Us?
Exciting things are happening at LV=General Insurance (LV=GI). Having recently become part of the Allianz family, we’re proud to be one of the largest personal insurers in the UK.
Driven by our pride and passion, we will always do the right thing to inspire trust in our people and our customers. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to become Britain’s best-loved insurer, by helping people look after what they love.
Reward and Benefits
This role is a Band C in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page here.
We’ll give you:
- Flexible working opportunities – many of our employees job share or work part-time, flexi-time, or compressed hours. Our new hybrid working model now offers all employees the option to work from home 3 days a week and 2 days in the office.
- 30 days' holiday, with the option to buy up to 2 additional days
- An excellent pension plan (please click here to read more about it)
- An annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- Other flexible benefits including discounted retail vouchers and dental insurance
- 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel as well as up to 50% discount on your car insurance
To find out more about our benefits and rewards, please click here.
LV= is an equal opportunities employer who values a diverse and inclusive workplace. We recognise that people work in different ways, and we value alternative viewpoints, celebrate individuality and foster a culture where everyone can bring their true self to work. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce, we accept applications from everyone regardless of your background, beliefs, culture, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities and long term health conditions