We are excited to be recruiting a Lead Data Scientist within our successful and growing team.
LV= General Insurance is a large, multi-award winning insurance company, with nearly 3 million customers and aspirations for future growth.
As part of the Data Science team, you will help LV= build end to end machine learning solutions across the entire business, working on a wide variety of applications. The team operate as a consultancy within the business, with Data Scientists and Data Engineers sat alongside each other. We work closely with different business functions to find solutions that add real value to both our customers and the company.
You will get the opportunity to work on projects that directly impact the business as well as be a pivotal member in the teams growth, technical best practice and software development. The team are encouraged to be curious and to look beyond raw data and tell the story behind it.
The role offers a chance to develop and operationalise analytics solutions, to answer key business questions and improve business processes by leveraging machine learning. The possibilities are huge!
The Data Science team has continued grow over several years with a strong focus on delivery, innovation and technical excellence. There will be plenty of opportunities to develop your career within LV= and training will be provided depending on your individual needs. We also have a unique and innovative partnership with the University of Bristol, find out more from the link below.
What are we looking for?
We don't expect you to know everything from day one, but experience and knowledge in the following is useful to hit the ground jogging:
- Solid knowledge of machine learning techniques including linear models, tree based methods
- Experience in machine learning model deployment in a business setting
- Knowledge of deep learning is a plus
- Knowledge or experience in software development is a plus
- Good command of Python and use pertinent libraries for data analysis and machine learning.
- Knowledge of Linux or distributed computing is a plus
- Solid knowledge of Git for code version control
- Relational databases and data manipulation skills in SQL and exposure to large scale “Big Data” environments such as Microsoft Azure
- Proven experience of leading technical projects around large datasets
- Ideally you will have a PhD or a masters plus experience in a highly numerate degree / career
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including communication, management of expectation, recommendations, quality of outputs, and working accurately to tight deadlines
- Experience to build and maintain relationships both externally and with customers throughout the company.
- Quick to learn, ability to prioritise activities and responsive to the needs of the business.
- Proven experience in mentoring or managing technical teams in the use of technical software
- Ability to convey technical concepts to a non-technical audience
What will you be doing?
Your role will vary day to day, but here is a bit of what you can expect:
- Act as a technical lead on data sciences projects in support of business teams across LV=
- Liaise with different parts of the business to achieve a common understanding of the business challenge, their needs, data requirements and expected analytical modelling of data
- Develop processes for understanding and matching the best analytic tools to the use case
- Deliver expert advice and support to the business and interpret output and communicate results to non-technical audience in support of operationalising use cases
- Analyse data, build and test machine learning algorithms
- Present research results to the business
- Support the business in the deployment of the data solution
- Help formulate a longer term operating and support model including the design of the environment and the selection of tools
- Become one of a group of experts who can coach the business as part of handover to ensure capability continues to grow across the group
Why Work for Us?
Exciting things are happening at LV= General Insurance (GI). Having recently joined forces with Allianz, we’re proud to now be one of the largest personal insurers in the UK. Working with a new energy, we’re shifting gear and transforming our company, industry and beyond. And we’re just getting started.
Driven by pride and passion, we will always do the right thing to inspire trust in our people and our customers. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to become Britain’s best loved insurer, by helping people look after what they love.
Reward and Benefits
This role is a Band C in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page here.
We’ll give you:
- Flexible working opportunities – many of our employee's job share or work part-time, flexi-time, compressed hours or with an element of remote working.
- 30 days' holiday, with the option to buy up to 2 additional days
- An excellent pension plan (please click here to read more about it)
- An annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- Other flexible benefits including discounted retail vouchers and dental insurance
- 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel as well as up to 50% discount on your car insurance
To find out more about our benefits and rewards, please click here.
LV= is an equal opportunities employer who values a diverse and inclusive workplace. We recognise that people work in different ways, and we value alternative viewpoints, celebrate individuality and foster a culture where everyone can bring their true self to work. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce, we accept applications from everyone regardless of your background, beliefs, culture, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities and long term health conditionsApply Now