About the role
The Data Science team is excited to be recruiting exceptional data scientists into their growing and hugely successful team which is made up of talented and diverse individuals including PHD graduates and data engineers. The team is driving the implementation of machine learning across the entire organisation with a focus on the delivery and realisation of benefits.
The team helps LV build data pipelines and machine learning solutions across the business. We operate as a consultancy within the business. We are approached by different parts of the business who we then work closely with to create an end to end solution. We are involved in all aspects of the project from data collection, to model building to model deployment.
This is an opportunity for someone with curiosity, to look beyond raw data and tell the story behind it. A chance to develop and operationalise analytics solutions, to answer key business questions and improve business processes by leveraging machine learning. The possibilities are huge. We are looking for experienced data scientists who are able to lead the end to end process of machine learning model building and deployment.
We don't expect you to know everything from day one, but experience and knowledge in the following is useful to hit the ground jogging:
- Solid knowledge of machine learning techniques including linear models, tree based methods
- Experience in machine learning model deployment in a business setting
- Knowledge of deep learning is a plus
- Good command of Python or R and use pertinent libraries for data analysis and machine learning.
- Knowledge of Linux or distributed computing is a plus
- Solid knowledge of Git for code version control
- Relational databases and data manipulation skills in SQL and exposure to large scale “Big Data” environments such as Microsoft Azure
- Proven experience of leading technical projects around large datasets
- Ideally you will have a PhD or a masters plus experience in a highly numerate degree / career
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including communication, management of expectation, recommendations, quality of outputs, and working accurately to tight deadlines
- Experience to build and maintain relationships both externally and with customers throughout the company.
- Quick to learn, ability to prioritise activities and responsive to the needs of the business.
- Proven experience in mentoring or managing technical teams in the use of technical software
- Ability to convey technical concepts to a non-technical audience
Your role will vary day to day, but here is a bit of what you can expect:
- Act as a technical lead on data sciences projects in support of business teams across LV=
- Liaise with different parts of the business to achieve a common understanding of the business challenge, their needs, data requirements and expected analytical modelling of data
- Develop processes for understanding and matching the best analytic tools to the use case
- Deliver expert advice and support to the business and interpret output and communicate results to non-technical audience in support of operationalising use cases
- Analyse data, build and test machine learning algorithms
- Present research results to the business
- Support the business in the deployment of the data solution
- Help formulate a longer term operating and support model including the design of the environment and the selection of tools
- Become one of a group of experts who can coach the business as part of handover to ensure capability continues to grow across the group
Rewards and benefits
This role is a Band C in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page here. We want you to love what you do that’s why we’ve put together a benefits package that recognises and rewards a job well done.
We’ll give you:
- 30 days' holiday, with the option to buy up to 2 additional days
- a competitive pension for which LV= will pay twice the amount you pay, up to 14% (please click here to read more about it)
- an annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Single cover private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- a flexible benefits package (e.g. discounted retail vouchers, great value dental insurance, childcare vouchers)
- a generous 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel. Up to 50% discount on your car insurance and up to 20% discount from our life products.
To find out more about our benefits and rewards, please click here.
Here at LV= we always love to hear from great people, so don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and become a fan on Facebook. We’re also proud to say we’re an equal opportunities employer. Why not follow us on Glassdoor and take the opportunity to see real reviews of what it’s like to work here.