About the role
We are looking for a Reserving Actuary to look after the BAU activities across all products. Reporting directly to the Reserving Manager, you’ll be heavily involved in the analysis and construction of the IFRS Actuarial Best Estimate and the Solvency II Technical Provision across the business and will be a lead figure in feeding the findings back into the Pricing function.
This role is a qualified role within the GI Actuarial Reserving Team identifying and tracking key trends as well as the emergence of profits from the General Insurance business throughout the year. There is a constant need for interaction with numerous business functions so communication skills are highly essential. You’ll be leading a team of up to three, so experience of people management and development is beneficial.
The ideal candidate would be qualified with experience in general insurance reserving with a strong technical focus.
You’ll have an understanding of, and experience in, modelling best practices across both reserving bases.
You’ll have a natural curiosity with a passion and ability to question results and problem solve. This will be combined with the ability to be pragmatic and a desire to deliver continuous improvements.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a qualified Actuary with experience in a non-life insurance environment.
- Have experience of actuarial reserving analysis within the general insurance market.
- Have the ability to combine “soft” influencing and persuasion skills with “leadership” qualities that will encourage business leaders to positively respond to questions, inquires and requests to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of working with people at all levels within, and external to, the business.
- Be credible across the business and be able to build strong relationships, in particular with Finance, Underwriting, Pricing and senior management.
- Have the ability to be both strategic and pragmatic. Must be able to think broadly about the business.
Within your day to day role responsibilities will vary, however you can expect to:
- Contribute to the analysis and construction of the technical reserves on both bases, for all products across the LV= GI group, drawing on Actuarial best practice
- Lead the quarterly IFRS reserving process and the calculation of the Technical Provisions under a Solvency II basis
- Day to day line management of a small team of students
- Be a leading point of contact for key senior stakeholders of the reserving output
- Be a leader in the Actuarial function, managing a team of up to three direct reports
- The creation of monthly MI monitoring tools and ensuring the business’ engagement with its output and their implications
- Working across the Finance function to ensure accurate P&L management and business planning
- Actively contributing to the team culture and managing employee engagement
Rewards and benefits
This role is a Band C in the LV= Structure. To find out more about our bands, click to view our FAQ page here. We want you to love what you do that’s why we’ve put together a benefits package that recognises and rewards a job well done.
We’ll give you:
- 30 days' holiday, with the option to buy up to 2 additional days
- a competitive pension for which LV= will pay twice the amount you pay, up to 14% (please click here to read more about it)
- an annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Single cover private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- a flexible benefits package (e.g. discounted retail vouchers, great value dental insurance, childcare vouchers)
- a generous 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel. Up to 50% discount on your car insurance and up to 20% discount from our life products.
To find out more about our benefits and rewards, please click here.
Here at LV= we always love to hear from great people, so don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and become a fan on Facebook. We’re also proud to say we’re an equal opportunities employer. Why not follow us on Glassdoor and take the opportunity to see real reviews of what it’s like to work here.